Who is the Black Flash? – That’s the question on lots of people’s lips, especially as the Arrrowverse (The Flash, Arrow, Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow) introduced the character in the latest episode of DC’s Legends of Tomorrow (S02E10)
Many people remember the last ten minutes of The Flash second season finale with the defeat of Zoom by the Time-wraiths (those black demon-like entities that ripped and sucked him into the speed force.) That was the birth of the Black-Flash. Yes, Zoom became the Black-Flash.
The Black-Flash according to DC’s comic lore, is the grim-reaper of Speedsters in the multiverse, the living personification of death for those whose powers is as a direct consequence of the speed-force. That means, when Speedsters’ time are up, he comes for them.
The Black Flash has been reported to be seen before the death of some Speedsters in the comics. It is not clear whether The Black Flash exists because the speedster characters are simply too fast for traditional Death to capture, or as some sort of bizarre side effect to their connection to the Speed Force.
The Black-Flash made his first appearance in DC’s Legends of Tomorrow first, before it can appear in any other place in the multiverse, and the reason made total sense.
This season, the Legends have been dealing with the Legion of Doom at its ground state of formation. Members, Malcolm Merlyn / The Dark Archer (John Barrowman), Damien Darhk (Neal McDonough), Eobard Thawne / Reverse-Flash (Matt Letscher), have been a thorn in the Legends skins, causing time-aberrations everywhere.
In the latest episode (S02E10), Damien Darhk, and Malcom Merlyn set a trap when they couldn’t take Eobard’s secrecy anymore, and force him to tell his truth. That’s when he confessed that the Black-Flash is after him.
Do you remember, The Flash (So1E23) when Eddie Thawne killed himself to erase Eobard out of existence as a means of defeating him? Good. Now, this version of Reverse Flash (created through Flashpoint) has to keep running else, Eddie’s death will catch up to him in time through the Black Flash. This is the reason he’s after the Spear of Destiny – he wants to rewrite his destiny to get the deadly Black Flash off his back.
From the comics, some of the Black Flash’s powers include:
- Speed Force Entity: As the aspect of death for speedsters, the Black Flash draws power from the extra-dimensional energy-field called the Speed Force.
- Superhuman Speed: The Black Flash can move at vast superhuman speeds, easily keeping up with speedsters, and surpassing the speed of light.
- Superhuman Durability
- Superhuman Stamina
- Superhuman Agility
- Fatal Touch: The Black Flash can kill a person with only one touch.
- Chronokinesis: The Black Flash possesses the ability to stop time at will, as well as use his speed to travel throughout time
- Dimensional Travel: The Black Flash can easily travel to and from the Speed Force at will.
- Immortality: As an aspect of death, the Black Flash cannot die by any ordinary means.
With these impressive abilities, I really want to see what the Black Flash brings to the Arrowverse.
PS: I just can’t seem to shake off this feeling that Wally West will die as a consequence of his new found speed.